Monday, May 16, 2011

Back at the Beginning

Once upon a time there was a blog named One Past Order, the work of one evil mad scientist writing about this and that, largely ignored but occasionally checked on by assorted friends and mysterious strangers.  Back in the day, One Past Order was growing at a normal rate (or normal for strange, mutant, gigantic, daily blogs at least), when a giant storm of paranoia swept through the mad scientist's fevered brain forcing him to destroy all evidence of the blog when he decided to disappear from on-line networks altogether for fear that serial killers would come looking for him and he would be fooled into trusting them because they knew his secret recipe for dinosaur cupcakes.  Two people missed reading One Past Order, but the evil mad scientist didn't care, and many ages passed.

Then, today, for no reason other than a crazed desire to write only the truth, the mad scientist decided to revive his undead blog from beyond the grave.  Hooking up assorted wires and imbibing delicious coffee chemicals, he moved into a mess free Mac, and began typing away about how stupid his fictional stories were and how he wouldn't even read these recycled comic book tales of tepid adventure himself, among other things, so he best Blog the truth instead, the best Blog he could possibly write.  The Blog called One Past Order stirred, changed in shape, and began a new life as what you will read here: a complete, detailed, fact filled record of reviews, D&D adventures, and personal posts on the life of the writer in residence, the mad scientist named Adam Roll.

The Blog thought about taking a new name, calling itself "Too Much Information is Never Enough", or "The Blog that Ate the Blogosphere", or something silly like that, but in the end it accepted the truth:  One Past Order best sums up what the mad scientist writes about and what he is: One Past Order.  Not in the egotistical sense of being past order like order should be skipped, but because he truly is mad, and frequently takes little vacations from consensus reality.

That said, I will stop talking about myself in the third person and thank you for your time and consideration.  I missed blogging and I think I have a great number of great ideas to blog about, and since there is no point in printing a fanzine, (another idea I had while One Past Order was a corpse in the crypt), I came back to Blogger.com to pick up where I left off.  Save the trees, even if the trees are secretly plotting to kill us with the tendrils and the foliage and such.

I want to blog every day but I have learned my lesson there.  Sometimes I will blog more often, sometimes less often, we will see how it goes.  I want to blog again because I am truly tired of writing fiction for all the reasons I joked about above, so this will be an effort to keep my writing fresh and tasty, an existential experiment in ego-aggrandizement, but more often than not, it will be about specific things I have read and listened to, and what I think of them, in depth.  I am tempted to direct you to where to shop for these things as I write about them, and then I am tempted to not be so pushy, most often I am tempted to drink more coffee.

I hope this blog finds you well, well-caffeinated and well-read.  Justifiably I am tempted to end this one with "and they all lived happily ever after", but such a hell of unadulterated happiness free from the occasional morose rainy day afternoon is an unspeakable curse that I have never understood.  So instead, I will remind myself to take my prozac, and welcome you back to my strange, strange world.

No comments:

Post a Comment