Saturday, May 21, 2011

Easy Targets

[Warning: there is probably an error in spelling or grammar in the following blog.  I am sorry.  I tried very hard to make sure there was not but I am human, and I love commas.]

There is a great article in today’s Christian Science Monitor by Eoin O’Carroll about the math of the great assumption, er, ascension, as calculated by Harold Camping.  His Math included the number 722,499.07 days since April 1, 33 CE, rounded up to 722,500 a product of 5 x 17 x 10 squared.   All of these numbers have special meanings to Camping, but where in the bible he found this equation I do not know. (The bible is notoriously short on math, I have checked).

Harold Camping owns 66 Christian Broadcasting Channels and has convinced thousands of people with billboards and radio messages that the end of the world is today, or was, (will be?)

In response I feel like blogging that I ascended, was the only one there, convinced God to give us a second chance and came back for tacos.  This is probably an awful idea, except for the tacos.  I do love tacos.

Whoever advertises with this Camping guy should be ashamed.  I don’t blame the listeners, sure there is no reason not to learn how to read in today’s day and age, but some people can’t read.  Yes, there is an extent to which one is educated and an extent to which one educates oneself.  I’m not saying everyone has to read Jurgen Habermas or even learn how to pronounce Goethe properly, but come on, will people say that Camping prays on those who can only listen to radio?  That these people who gave away their money to Camping or spent it on billboards scaring the hell out of little children all across the country, didn’t deserve to be fleeced of every dime?

So there isn’t a lot on the radio.  And you think country music is just too liberal and communistic for your tastes.  I understand.  I recommend a wonderful collection of books on tape, CDs, and MP3 players (have you seen those, the library has some, they are cool, book and MP3 in one package, use your own headphones or headphones will be provided for you), that you can take out and listen to on your own. I cannot reach the illiterate people here, but I hope I can reach you.

The question begged is: what have I, the mad scientist, done for literacy in my life?  Very little.  I have taught English, run free book clubs at the local libraries, volunteered at the library doing necessary mundane tasks, worked for Read of America, donated books, and read to every child I have met who said they were bored and couldn’t run away fast enough to stop me.  This is why I did blog today.  To advocate that you think of something you can do to help encourage and develop literacy and go do it.

I helped a group of high school age students, possibly older, spell the word “theatre” today.  Tricky, yes.  I put it close to potato in difficulty.  Remember, Vice Presidents need help expanding their literacy too.  (Long story short for those of you a little younger than me Bush Sr.’s Vice President misspelled this one back in the day when visiting a school spelling test.  No lie.  I’m going to name names, yes I can spell Quayle both the name and the fowl quail, Quayle was the foul Quayle).

Yes. I am being smug.  Why?  Because maybe we need a little shock treatment here.  Some people can’t read.  So they turn on the radio, hear about the end of the world and believe.  Some people can’t read.  That’s not funny, but it might, in the end, spell the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment